I’ve been working on a quick list of what makes mobile technology unique. What makes mobile exciting is applying some of these features in new ways and creating new experiences.
- Portable: Mobile devices are small, lightweight and easily carried.
- Low Cost: As compared to PCs, mobile devices are less expensive.
- Energy Efficient: Mobile devices require less power to run than PCs.
- Connected: Most mobile devices come connected to the Internet via 3G or WiFi.
- Rugged: All mobile devices come with a solid state disk drive and can handle accidental drops and misuse.
- Personal: It’s a 1-to-1 device that is inherently yours to use and customise.
- Cool: They still have a ‘wow’ factor – especially in an educational context
- Sensory: You can touch the screen, manipulate objects, pinch and zoom. You can hold a device in all different directions and even shake it. You can listen, watch and record all types of media.
- Multi-Function: You can add functionality through Apps and turn a static device into something smart, unique, powerful and contextual.
- Location Aware: The device is ‘aware’ of your location – where you are through GPS, where you’re headed through the compass, how you’re moving through your accelerometer, how close you are with a proximity sensor.
Coming soon… creating unique mobile experiences.